Monday, March 5, 2012

Japanese Cheese Cake

For a long time, I hasn't been baking cakes and need to refresh my cake baking skills. This pack of cream cheese has been in my fridge for a long time, its time to use it up. I decided to make a Japanese Cheese Cake. This cake requires meringue and water bath. Some friends ask me, why the need for waterbath. Since this cake is one that uses meringue and traditional japanese cakes are all steam, combining the french and japanese way of baking would ensure the cake is chiffon like, yet retains the moisture and spongy mouth feel. The waterbath ensures moisture in the baking oven, prevent the cake from forming hard crust and drying out. Baking time is more than 40 mins at 190-200 deg, so if there isn't moisture inside, this cake bottom and body would have dried out and hardened. So waterbath and aluminium tin is important. The tin gives the cake a nice baking temperature and its oval shape.





No comments:

Post a Comment